Sunday, November 16, 2008

Keeping Busy

(Please note: I gave this entry the most neutral title I could find. Depending on what kind of person you are, it could also be titled "Productivity", "Dawdling", "Staying Sane", or "Going Insane", just to name a few.)


Situation: For an entire weekend, almost every step you take causes an intense, flesh-eating burning sensation. This is actually better than the last school week has been, but it is by no means good enough to convince you to leave your room for anything unnecessary. By Saturday afternoon, you are bored, claustrophobic, and irritable. What do you do?


If you spend time feeling sorry for yourself, leave this blog.


If you find a creative solution, read on.


I am majorly good at creative solutions. Mine was in two parts:


1. Spend four (Four!) hours on Saturday rereading the entire 220 page Jewish History textbook in preparation for Monday's final. Do not just skim it over; reread the entire thing thoroughly, such that you have a firm grasp of the material and understand how it all connects. Spend three (Three!) hours on Sunday rereading all relevant parts of the European History textbook. Again, read thoroughly and slowly, such that you understand the material and a vague historical overview. By this time your brain will be dead; start praying that you will pass your finals.


2. Spend three to four (can't exclamation point this, because I don't know exactly how long it actually took) making...a tote bag. This is not as random as it sounds, I promise. I have been wanting a tote bag that I can hang from the handle of a crutch for a long time. All the ones in stores are expensive, and who wants to sanction a free market (read: slave labor) economy anyway? I am, however, going home for Thanksgiving in a week; I need something to use for my carry-on in the airport.


Below is a picture of the finished tote bag. All seams are double-sewn. (That may or may not be the correct, technical term, but I bet you can figure out what it means.) The strips that comprise the handle are sewn together with a row of running stitch, then a row of whip-stitch, and finally another row of running stitch; each end of the finished handle is attached to the tote the same way. The bag close with a row of four small buttons. (What can I say? I accidentally bought tiny buttons.) Inside is a "secret" pocket. The finished tote bag:


No comments: