Friday, November 21, 2008

Home for Thansgiving

The airports and planes actually weren't as hard to manage as I'd been expecting. I was certainly in major pain by the time I made it through security, but I had no one next to me on my first flight and I was able to just stretch my feet out (OK, actually curl up across two seats) and rest, which was nice. My four hour layover in Detroit meant I was sitting for a good long time, so long that I even managed to get up once or twice and walk a long way to find a newsstand to get something to eat. I did have to have my feet down during the second flight, but ended up in a very interesting religious discussion with my seatmate. That conversation distracted me enough that I didn't suffer as much as I would have otherwise, and in fact was feeling much better by the time I got off the plane.

By the way, I really dislike a certain type of airport personnel. I guess I should say I dislike this type of person, but I never encountered more of them at once than I did in the airport yesterday. I'm talking about the kind of person who talks to me more slowly, more gently, more sweetly, more loudly, and closer to my face than they would talk to others, just because I'm disabled. There is nothing wrong with the brain connections that have to do with me understanding speech. I realize my pain stems from a brain connection, but that is the only thing wrong with my brain. I can understand everything everyone says. Always.

In keeping with the original purpose of this blog as how I manage my life...here is a segment on living in a house with stairs.

The steps in my house are narrow and steep and hard to go up and down. I certianly don't want to be doing that more than once or twice a day, at most. So, I get up, get dressed, and put everything I need for the day in one plastic bag and one tote bag. I come downstairs with my bags, and I don't go back up for the rest of the day. How to handle stairs? Avoid them.

No comments: