Tuesday, January 6, 2009

War in Gaza

I just need to get these feelings out somewhere, not on my friends who are having their own feelings...

I am beyond sorrowful that Israel had to go into Gaza on the ground. Not that it wasn't justified: 105 Qassam rockets fired into Israel in the last three days alone justifies war in my opinion. And I am beyond honored and proud to be part of a natoin that can and is willing to defend itself.

But. But. But!!!

A certain quote from former Israeli Prime Minister Golda Meir comes to mind: "We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children. We cannot forgive the Arabs for forcing us to kill their children. We will only hav epeace with the Arabs when they love thier children more than they hate us." I never understood that quote before. Now I do.

War is a tragedy. Period. People on both sides die; people on both sides suffer. Both sides lose great leaders, brave soldiers, little children full of potential, and "ordinary" men and women. I firmly believe that war is sometimes necessary. I believe that this is a necessary, justified, "good" war. But...it's just sad.

I pray for these victims, survivors, and their families--and for peace--every night. I've been crying for them at least once a day. There ar enever enough people to cry for war victims, especially the civilians. The tragedy of their deaths can never be fully expressed.

Another quote comes to mind, one which I'm tempted to attribute to Stalin, but I'm not sure: "One death is a tragedy...a million deaths is a statistic." Please, please, let's not allow the victims of this war...civilian or soldier, Arab or Israeli, male or female, child or adult...to become a statistic. Please.

Please remember.

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Ugh... so awful :(