Tuesday, October 28, 2008

In my Fantasy Life

What follows is a series of word-snapshots of what I imagine doing, what I would do if I were healthy...

I'm standing in the gym, shooting baskets. I'm not very good at it; for every one that goes in, there are four or five that don't. But I'm having a good time, and I take off running around the gym, dribbling the ball...

I'm at prom, in a lovely blue dress and a cute pair of heels. A tall boy is dancing me around in his arms, around and around, and I can smell his aftershave and the dancing doesn't hurt and I'm over the moon in love as I lay my head against his chest...

I'm playing a part in a musical, not a principle part because I can't sing well, but a part's a part regardless. And maybe I only have a few simple dance steps to do, but I can do them, and people clap for me, and the memory sticks in my head for weeks as a good day...

I'm rolling down the big hill opposite the geothermal energy works, rolling down and down and down, then standing up and running back up and rolling down again, over and over. And I can keep going, just rolling down the hill, for like half an hour, until I get all dizzy. And then I'm lying on my back with the breeze on my face and the clover around me; just a nice, warm, lazy day...

I'm on a walk in the woods, enjoying the beauty of nature, clambering over roots and rocks and streams. I can stay out for hours, just enjoying the world around me, listening to the songs of the birds and singing right back at them. And the song in my heart and the song on my lips melt together to become one, and my feet begin to dance to match the song...

I'm at the mall, shopping for jeans, and I can walk to store after store after store. In the big chain stores, I walk all over just for the pleasure of window shopping. And it's a nice Sunday afternoon with friends and we're just having a good time, and my homework can wait until tonight because I'll still have the energy to do it...

I'm sneaking up behind a friend I haven't seen in a while, because I want to surprise him. I tiptoe silently closer...closer...then break into a run and jump and grab him from behind. He turns around in shock, and I laugh at him, and then we stand there talking for half an hour or so...

Only in my fantasy life.

No comments: