Sunday, October 26, 2008

Determination

Let it not be said that I give up easily. Let it never be said that I take the easy way out. Witness the story of me doing my laundry today:

For the past couple months, I'v ebeen asking other people to carry my laundry upstairs for me, but they're getting sick of it and I can hardly blame them. I decided that today, no matter what it took, I was going to do my laundry myself.

I left my room on crutches, with my detergent between my knees and my laundry bag in front of me, swinging from the crutches and pushing the laundry bag with my feet. I soon saw that this woul dnot work: the detergent kept slipping, laundry was spilling out of the bag, and the whole process was long and painful.

Lik eevery other human being, I only have two hands. I can't use crutches and carry my laundry, but neither was I in shape to walk unaided. Fine. I dropped to my knees, and "knee-walked" down the hall, carrying my laundry bag and detergent. I climbed the stairs on my knees, still carrying everything; started my laundry; and crawled all the way down the stairs and back down th ehall to my crutches.

Let it never be said that I give up easily.

No comments: