Thursday, December 4, 2008

You Know You Have RND (/RSD/CRPS/Fibromyalgia) When...

So I was reading a generic Invisible Disease list of this type on my favorite website, butyoudontlooksick.com. Most of it didn't apply to me, so I decided to write my own.

1. Paralysis, for about five minutes, is a normal occurence. You don't even get annoyed when your body stops working, and you wonder why everyone's looking at you funny.

2. Your "good" days involve more pain than most of your friends have ever felt in their lives.

3. You have named or anthropomorphized your mobility aid, because your constant companion clearly has a mind of its own.

4. You answer "How are you?" from strangers EXACTLY the same way every time...in fact, you have a memorized formula for answering this question.

5. Your coach "suggests" that you see the school counselor. (I see her every week anyway, but I hate coaches...)

6. Your friends don't fin dit unusual at all for you to grimace, whimper, and collapse, then when you finally get up, spend the next fifteen minutes shaking.

7. Even though you're barely in pain when you wake up in the morning, there's "barely" and "barely" and you can tell, before you put your feet on the ground, what kind of day it's going to be.

8. At one time or another, you have forgotten any of the following: how to walk, how to breathe, how to use a tissue, how to get ready for bed. (Actually, I forget that last one and have to take myself through the steps again almost every night.)

9. Getting cured two months from now is meaningless, because "the future" means crawling into bed tonight.

10. You're going to go make a list of your own now!

No comments: