Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A Story of Triumph

Through my time at this program, I have realized that I have probably had mild RND--undaignosed, of course--for at least the last ten years. The last physical activity that I can remember not hurting is learning to skip in kindergarten. I am having to consciously reteach myself how to walk--pick up the heel, then the toe; heel, toe; heel, toe--because I have not walked "like a human" as my doctor puts it in so long.

And yet I am conquering. I really am. I've been here just over a week, and already I've undone two or three years of pain etc. My doctor has already asked me how I feel about going home sometime next week. (For the record, I told him I would be extremely nervous if he discharged me this Friday, but by next Friday I woul dprobably feel like this was redundant.) I am stronger, more fit, and more energetic than I have ever been--ever, in my life. I have these amazing ab muscles.

I do still hurt after activity, but it's less pain, lasting for less time, after more activity. I am fully functional: running, jumping, dancing with my doctor (his idea, not mine). I am unstoppable. Watch me go.

"Veni, Vidi, Vici."

No comments: