Monday, August 25, 2008

A Different Perspective

When I think about what I want for this blog, I guess my most important goal is to get the message across that the disabled can lead full and happy lives. My pain affects my every waking moment, but not necessarily in a bad way; it just changes my perspective.

On a scale of one to ten, a seven is feeling good; a six is very good; even through an eight, I can have normal emotional reactions to the world. Most days I walk around singing with joy in my life, and reveling in living.This joy is touched off by something as simple as the weather, a good conversation with a friend, or an interesting homework assignment. My general "setpoint" is fairly happy, and I got there through pain and disability. Thi s mindset holds until I'm about at a nine out of ten.

I treasure the small things. A drama director allowing me to be late to rehearsals so I can swim. People helping me clean up when I spill my drink all over the floor. A hand on my shoulder when I need it most. These are the things that matter to me.

No comments: